What can you do with leftover Polenta? Make polenta chips! These are quick, easy, and versatile. They also taste great.
For maximum flavor, we tossed our fries with our vegan Parmesan cheese along with Italian herbs. This comforting, plant-based side is made with only four ingredients. We’ll show you exactly how to make it!
How to make Polenta Fries
To make polenta chips, you must first form the Polenta to a firm texture that can be cut. This can be achieved by making homemade Polenta with just three ingredients and one pot. Press it into the baking dish. You can also buy pre-cooked Polenta in most grocery stores.
Then, gently toss in the olive oil to ensure the seasonings are adhered to the fries. Italian herbs give the fries a herby flavor, while vegan Parmesan gives them a rich, salty, crispy coating.
- One (16-oz.) package of Polenta or one batch of Easy vegan Polenta.
- To use less oil, spray the oil onto the fries // if you don’t have oil, then omit it and cook them in an air fryer.
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs (basil + oregano)
FOR SERVING optional
- Vegan Pesto
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. (218 C).
- Skip to step 4 if you are using pre-cooked packaged Polenta!
- Use one batch of easy vegan Polenta. Follow the polenta recipe and immediately transfer the cooked polent8x8-inch8x8-inch baking dish. Spread the Polenta evenly in all corners and between 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour or freeze for 30 minutes. Polenta must be firm, cold, and soft enough to cut.
- If you have made your polenta, remove it from its packaging. You can also take home-cooked Polenta that has been chilled out of the fridge (or freezer). Place your Polenta in a large bowl and cut it into rectangular shapes. If the polenta crumbles and does not cut cleanly, place it in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes.
- Use clean hands to toss the polenta fry in olive oil gently
- Mix the vegan Parmesan with dried herbs in a large mixing bowl. Gently toss to coat.
- Bake in your oven at a reheated temperature for 30 minutes. Flip Polenta fry halfway through the cooking time to achieve even browning.
- Enjoy warm fries with marinara or pesto.
- The best is to consume them fresh. However, leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days or the freezer for one month. Reheat the pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 375 F. (190 C).