It’s good news! After a lot of testing (10 rounds), we have cracked the code for the ultimate vegan chocolate chip cookie. We broke the code to the Ultimate Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie.
This is a buttery, sweet, salty treat that’s topped with chocolate chips. It’s crispy on the edges and soft in the middle. Swoon! It’s also made in only one bowl and nine simple ingredients. We’ll show you exactly how to make it!
How to make vegan chocolate chip cookies
Eggs and butter are the two main ingredients that need to be swapped out in order to “organize.” We chose flax eggs to bind the cookies because they work well and are readily available.
We chose vegan butter to get a classic buttery flavor. Coconut oil was also tried but proved to be more demanding and difficult to spread, resulting in oily cookies.
We chose to keep it simple and classic with all-purpose wheat flour and baking soda for leavening. We used both brown and cane sugar for the sugar. Brown sugar gives the recipe a caramel taste.
We added generous amounts of sea salt, vanilla, and chocolate chips to infuse the cookies with maximum flavor. Every bite is filled with gooey, sea-salty chocolatey goodness!
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal (to make flax eggs)
- Use 5 tbsp of water to make a flax egg
- 12 cups organic brown sugar packed
- Cane sugar organic 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup vegan butter at room temperature (we like Earth Balance // 1/2 cup = 112g or 1/2 stick)
- 2-3 tsp vanilla extract
- The original recipe calls for 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour (or 1 cup plus two tablespoons, as written).
- 1 tsp of sea salt (plus extra for topping).
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Enjoy Life semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips, 1 cup
- Prepare your flax eggs in a large bowl by mixing flaxseed and water. Let rest for five minutes. Add brown sugar, cane sugar, vegan butter, and vanilla. (Start with the lower end and add 1 tsp if you prefer a stronger vanilla flavor). Mix with an electric mixer for a few minutes until the mixture is creamy and pale (see photo).
- Stir flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spatula until well combined. Add chocolate chips and fold until combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- Start by scooping the dough into 1 1/2 Tbsp portions (we prefer this scoop). Place the baking sheets in the oven. To account for spreading, space cookies 2 inches apart. Bake cookies on the center rack for 12-15 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Sprinkle a pinch of Maldon salt on top of the cookies while they are still warm to add a contrast in flavor and texture.
- Let cool on the tray for 10 minutes before eating! Enjoy with milk or a latté.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to a month. For the best texture, enjoy at room temperature.