You want spaghetti, but you don’t have time to boil the water, drain the pasta, or make a sauce from scratch? Us either!
Our simplified version of spaghetti is made in one pot, with lots of vegetables, perfectly talented spaghetti noodles, and a hearty marinara. For the ultimate weeknight meal, top it with vegan Parmesan cheese. This recipe is perfect for making in advance and eating throughout the week. We’ll show you exactly how to make it!
How to make 1-pot Vegan Spaghetti
This 10-ingredient starts with a healthy dose of vegetables as a base. Garlic and onions add flavor and sweetness to the dish, while bell peppers and mushrooms provide heartiness and health benefits. You can add a handful of greens to the word later on in the process for more nutrition and color.
Salt, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes are added to the vegetables for flavor. It also adds flavor to the marinara you buy in the store, making this a weeknight meal that is easy to prepare.
Then, add the noodles and water to the sauce. The noodles can be fully submerged in the liquid by breaking them in half. This will prevent the need to add excessive water, which would dilute their flavor. The noodles will cook more evenly if you stir them a few times.
This delicious pot is packed with iron, fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin A precursors!
- Add more oil as necessary to prevent sticking.
- 1 cup diced onions
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- The original recipe calls for 8 ounces of white button mushrooms.
- One medium yellow or Red Bell Pepper, diced
- Add more salt to taste, but keep in mind your marinara is already salted.
- Oregano dried (or Italian seasoning mix): 1 tsp
- Reduce for less heat or increase for more warmth.
- 2 (24-oz.) Jars of favorite marinara. (We like Rao’s or Organico Bello).
- Half a cup of water
- 12 oz. Dry gluten-free pasta (we prefer Jovial Brand and Barillo; you can substitute any shape of pasta here).
- Choose any green ( optional ) or spinach.
Optional FOR SERVING
- Fresh basil, roughly chopped to a cup
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pan (with a cover) on medium heat. Add the oil to the pot and wait for 30 seconds. Add the onion, and cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent and lightly browned. Stir occasionally. If browning is occurring too quickly, reduce heat.
- Stir in the garlic, bell peppers, mushrooms and salt. Stirring frequently, sauté until slightly softened and caramelized, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir the red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt together for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Bring the water and marinara to a boil. Add the pasta to the pot after breaking it in half. Stir the pasta to break up any lumps.
- If desired, add optional greens now. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 13 minutes while stirring twice.
- Stir again to break up any remaining clumps of pasta (clumping should be minimal at this point). Stir the pasta again to break any remaining clumps (clumping is minimal at this stage). Taste the pasta, uncover, and adjust seasonings if necessary. Add more salt to enhance flavor or oregano to add herbal flavor.
- Top with vegan parmesan and fresh basil (optional). Reheat leftovers on the stove or in the microwave. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days. It’s not freezer-friendly.