This recipe is for anyone who wants to reduce their dairy consumption, whether they are vegan or dairy-free. We were looking for a simple and delicious vegan cheese spread to make vegan grilled cheese. This spread is made from eight wholesome ingredients.
What’s the best part? It tastes and looks like cheddar cheese. It may not melt exactly as cheddar cheese, but it has the same flavor and color! It does have that stringy, melty quality when heated. Store in the refrigerator to make vegan mac ‘n cheese, vegan grilled cheese sandwiches, and more. We’ll show you how to do it.
The first step is to soak cashews and carrots sliced in hot water. It helps the carrots and cashews soften.
After soaking and draining, add them to a blender with the tapioca for thickening, nutritional yeast for cheeseiness, apple vinegar for a tangy/fermented component, sea salt, ground mustard, and garlic powder for flavor. If you want a yellow cheese appearance, you can also add some turmeric.
In a saucepan, the creamy mixture is gently heated until it becomes a thick paste that can be spread. That’s all — easy!
This vegan cheddar is perfect for making vegan macaroni and cheese. This vegan cheddar would be great on baked potatoes, casseroles, or scalloped potatoes. Enchiladas and more!
CASHEWS & CARROTS
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- Half a cup of thinly sliced carrots (peeled).
- Use hot water to soak
- One cup of water
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Half a teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- Use 1/4 tsp of ground turmeric ( optional/ for color)
- Cashews and carrots can be soaked in hot water (uncovered) for 30 minutes. Drain and then add 1 cup of water, tapioca, nutritional yeast, and apple cider vinegar to a High-Speed Blender along with garlic powder and dry mustard. Blend the mixture at high speed until it is smooth.
- Add more salt or nutritional yeast to your taste, or add more apple cider vinegar if you want it acidic.
- Transfer to a medium pan and heat on medium heat. Cook while whisking for 1-2 minutes or until the consistency is spreadable (see photo). It should have the feeling of soft, cooked polenta.
- You can now use the cheese spread to make grilled cheese sandwiches or add it to shells to make vegan Mac ‘n Cheese.
- Store covered sauce in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the fridge for up to one month. Thaw it in the refrigerator before using it. It will become a thick paste/spread in the fridge as it cools.