We decided to make cheddar after not being satisfied with the Vegan Cheese options at the store. The classic cheddar flavor is versatile, colorful, and great on grilled cheeses, mac n’ cheeses, and so much more. After cracking the vegan cheese code, it was now time to make a delicious grilled cheese!
The thick slices of sourdough bread are buttered, spread with vegan cheddar cheese, and then grilled to a toasty golden brown. The result? The result? A comforting, crispy, buttery vegan grilled cheese sandwich made from wholesome ingredients. It’s salty, cheesy and melty. We’ll show you how to make it!
How to Make Vegan Grilled Cheese
All begins with the cheese. This, my friends, is the real thing! Plus, no unrecognizable ingredients are required.
The base for our vegan cheese recipe is cashews and carrots. It’s then blended with tapioca, nutritional yeast, and apple cider vinegar. It’s then gently heated to a sauce that can be spread.
One pan and fifteen minutes are all you need to make this sandwich. Butter the bread and spread the cheese on it. Then, cook the sandwich in a skillet until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Two large slices of vegan bread (sturdy is best for flavor and crunch — we like sourdough bread / gluten-free, if necessary)
- 1 Tbsp of vegan butter (we prefer Miyoko with a slight hint of salt; use more or less depending upon the size of your bread).
- Spread 4-5 tbsp vegan cheddar cheese on a plate or substitute with a similar amount of store-bought cheddar cheese slices.
- Heat a medium nonstick or cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Butter both sides of the bread.
- When the skillet is hot enough, add the bread and lightly toast it on both sides (1-2 mins) — this will develop flavor and crunch on both sides.
- Spread a layer of semi-thick vegan cheddar cheese onto one side of each slice of bread. Fold the bread slices together (with the cheese in the middle) to create a sandwich.
- Continue cooking the sandwich over medium heat. Flip the sandwich a few times until both sides appear golden brown, crispy, and melty.
- Enjoy hot. If desired, slice in half to serve. Fresh is best. It pairs beautifully with soup.